Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Mock 1 point 0


Peter “Mr. Steal Your Girl” Tragos’ Varsity Blues Mock Draft 1.0

1. Carolina (2-14)-Da’ Quan Bowers, (DE, Clemson) he is a perfect fit in their defense and their pass rush was pretty awful last year.
Or: Marcel Dareus, their bigger need is DT and Dareus is bigger and probably better than 1 hit wonder Nick Fairley
Who I’d Take: Cam Newton, Their defense as a whole was not terrible last year, they have a good running game and a pretty good offensive line. Their WR core is young and while they are not amazing, they looked better than Clausen last year. Cam might not be a sure thing, but if he ends up anything like Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Josh Freeman, or any other young QB with promise, it is well worth the risk. If he busts, worst case scenario is you missed out on a Mario Williams who would have given you 10 sacks a year, big whoop, you’ve got Everett Brown who will surely be giving you 15 sacks a year in the near future because that’s what Seminoles do. So unless they love Jimmy Clausen I’d take Cam. Taking a QB could change the franchise forever, and with a new coach it’s a perfect time to start a new era. If Rivera loves Clausen, then I’d take A.J. Green. But because he is a defensive guy he may just take the consensus #1 guy Bowers.

2. Denver (4-12)- Marcel Dareus, (DT, Bama) they are switching back to a 4-3 I hear, so Dareus would play DT, could be a good fit but Peterson is more exciting.
Or: Patrick Peterson, Champ Bailey=old, slow, and should switch to safety. Their secondary is an old unit, and their defense was bad last year. Peterson could be the next Champ or Revis, which would allow them to blitz more, which can make your defense look much better than it is, just ask Greg Williams or Rex Ryan.
Who I’d Take: Patrick Peterson, don’t forget, Peterson returns the ball, if worst comes to worst  you can trade him to Oakland for their next 3 first round picks.

3. Buffalo (4-12)-Cam Newton, (QB, Auburn) a franchise QB could change your team. People may actually come to see the bills next year. They have needs all over the field but upgrading any other position would not give the franchise a brighter future than Cam.  C.J. Spiller, Steve “Why So Serious” Johnson, and Cam Newton could be a pretty dynamic start to a young, high powered offense.  Don’t forget Chan Gailey is the coach, offensive, QB loving type guy, also a guy who knows how a couple bad seasons as a head coach can land a guy at a mediocre ACC school for a few years.
Or: Patrick Peterson, Peterson would fit well on just about any team. Or they could trade this pick to whoever really loves Cam because there is enough buzz that they would take Cam here and other teams could be scared.
            Who I’d Take: Cam Newton

4. Cincinnati (4-12)-A.J. Green, (WR, UGA) this is what everyone seems to think is going to happen. He may be the best player in the draft and perhaps the most “sure thing” if there is such a thing. I guess T.O. and Chad are on the way out so they want a replacement, now.
Or: Nick Fairley, simple value draft, he could have gone #1, but he is available at #4? Grab him and hope he is an anchor for years to come, he is a much better fit in this type of 4-3 defense because of his size which was much smaller than expected (6’5 300 lbs-actually 6’3 291 lbs.) or Da’Quan Bowers if Fairley goes #1.
Who I’d Take: Blaine Gabbert, they should be able to get at least a 2nd or 3rd for Palmer, and they should take it, start the future now with Gabbert who everyone seems to think is the best QB “right now” in this draft. I would take a QB every year if I was a GM because I love QB’s, and while I do not love Gabbert, if the Bengals do, this could be a good spot for him.

5. Arizona (5-11)-Blaine Gabbert, (QB, Mizzou) they obviously need a QB, and everyone seems to think they will pull the trigger here. Most scouts like this position because of Wisenhunt’s job security and the fact that he could survive a bad season or two and wait for a QB to develop. If they love Gabbert, this is a fine pick.
Or: Von Miller, showed flashes of brilliance pass rushing this year and was a combine freak.
Who I’d Take: Von Miller, may be the best pass rushing OLB, perfect for their 3-4 system and there is a hole in the starting lineup now that Joey Porter is on his way out. P.S. if this was my draft, This is the team that would trade their 3rd and 4th for Carson Palmer (his trade value has dropped in the last 30 seconds because the Bengals took Gabbert so it is obvious they have decided to trade him) (and since none of these trades will happen because of the lack of a CBA this is all just fun speculation) Also, their franchise guy Larry Fitz told you who he wanted, make some trades or signings and make that happen, he doesn’t want to wait for some young QB to develop while they keep losing.
6. Cleveland (5-11)-Julio Jones, (WR, Bama) Blew up the combine, probably had the best combine of any player this year, o ya, he did it with a broken foot, no big deal/take that Michael Crabtree. It’s obvious their biggest need is a playmaking WR, but this is a bit high for Julio (like what I did there?).
Or: J.J. Watt, he seems to be high on a lot of boards, he just is not a sexy pick. With Julio’s combine he could easily jump this high. Some scouts are saying Green is no longer head and shoulders better than the rest, I disagree. Or Nick Fairley.
Who I’d Take: I am torn, if A.J. Green is still available they should and will take him, if not I would try to trade back (you will hear this a lot from me, and yes, I realize that it is nearly impossible to do and rarely happens in the top 10) because without Dareus or green on the board, who I personally think are the best fits for Cleveland, no other player really has value here. Julio seems like a reach and ya he is a physical specimen and I like looking at him in tight under armor, but I’d rather use a later draft pick (Marcus Colson (don’t you love when people say stuff like that and act like that happens all the time? A 7th rounder being a perennial pro bowler?)) or FA (Santonio Holmes, Vincent Jackson, or Sydney Rice) to grab a WR, so if everyone I love is gone I’d probably grab Nick Fairley as a value pick and work him in at DT now that they are moving back to a 4-3 defense

7. San Francisco (6-10)- Patrick Peterson, (CB, LSU) a physical freak at the combine, big, strong, fast. Perhaps the best shut down corner to come out since Champ. The 49ers seem to fit, and they will cut Clements to get out of his contract, so Jim Harbaugh, Meet Patrick Peterson, he will be shutting down #1’s and returning your kicks.
Or: Marcel Dareus/Nick Fairley (if available)? I think everyone thinks they will get one of the top 2 CB’s. But if not, DL is also a need.
Who I’d Take: Peterson is definitely the pick here if he is available.

8. Tennessee (6-10)- Nick Fairley, (DT, Auburn) I am in the minority having Fairley fall this far. But since the BCS Championship game he has done nothing but fall, partly because many other players are on the rise (Newton, Peterson, Prince, Miller, Gabbert) and partly because he is much smaller than we thought and isn’t a great fit in a 3-4. That being said, the Titans are ecstatic to get him, finally replacing fat Albert.
            Or: If Gabbert is available he probably goes here.
Who I’d Take: If Fairley, Gabbert, or Prine are available, I’d take them (in that order), if not, I probably take Robert Quinn from UNC who would be a top five pick had he played last year. This would give them two first rounders at DE to (as everyone in the AFC South tries and miserably fails to do) get after and disrupt Peyton Manning. (Peyton will be the only player bolded not in the 2011 draft because A. he deserves it and B. I love him and this is my mock draft) (If Tom Brady comes up later this might be amended, because again, I love quarterbacks.)

9. Dallas (6-10)- Prince Amukamra, (CB, Nebraska) another guy with a great combine, and the combine just ended that’s why I sound like Al Davis. His big knock was that he was a little slower than everyone would like, however, he was only 0.04 seconds slower than the “track star” Patrick Peterson. Prince was yoked at the combine. His numbers are not great, he does not have many pics, but that is mainly because NO ONE threw his way. He has been the college version of Revis for the past 2 seasons. Jerry, meet Amukawhatever.
Or: If Prince is available the only person I see them taking over him is Cam Newton and since I think he should be gone at 1 or 3 its gonna be Prince unless they want to take Von Miller to create a beastly pass rush combining him with DeMarcus Ware.
Who I’d Take: I’d party like its 1999.

10. Washington (6-10)- Von Miller, (OLB, A&M) the Redskins would be ecstatic if Miller drops this far. He could easily go to Denver, Buffalo, Arizona, or Cleveland, but he is here and they would take him faster than he ran his forty yard dash. A dynamic pass rusher perfect for the 3-4 defense they are still trying to implement opposite Orakpo. If they get rid of Albert things would be easier.
Or: If Gabbert or Newton fall somehow, they won’t get past the Redskins.
Who I’d Take: One of the top QB’s if available, since they probably won’t be, I’d definitely take Miller, but if he is gone I’d take the top offensive tackle at this point which is probably Colorado’s Nate Solder.

11. Houston (6-10)- Jimmy Smith, (CB, Colo) Houston would love Peterson or Prince, but they will be gone, and Houston needs a Corner. Smith is a big, smooth corner according to Todd Mcshay and who am I to disagree?
Or: If Julio Jones falls here, they will snag him. If he did go here, it would be the best case scenario for him, he would play against every team’s second best corner.
Who I’d Take: Again I would trade, but since there are no trade in the Peter “Mr. Steal Your Girl” Tragos’ Varsity Blues Mock Draft 1.0, I will give you my pick, and his name is Akeem Ayers their linebackers were terrible last year and now they switch to 4 starting LB’s with the switch to a 3-4 Wade Phillips defense. Ayers is a solid OLB, this is a bit high for him but Wade is looking for the next DeMarcus Ware because Houston really needs to get after you know who… yes… Peyton Manning.

12. Minnesota (6-10)- Robert Quinn (DE, UNC? If this was the NBA I would insert his highschool here) finally comes off the board. Great pass rusher, great value, bring some youth to this good, but old, defense.
Or: Tyron Smith, first time hearing his name, he is going to be a project to be a future left tackle because he played right tackle at USC and is young and raw. But he is very athletic and has great upside and the Vikings could use some youth on the OL.
Who I’d Take: CHRISTIAN PONDER! Not really, but I do hear the Vikings’ best-case scenario would be to grab ponder in the second round. I would go with Quinn, I’m not a big Tyron Smith fan.
13. Detroit (6-10)- Nate Solder, (OT, Colo) most “ready now” offensive tackle and the lions desperately need help here.
Or: Tyron Smith, depends on whether they want greater risk reward, or the safer pick in Solder.
Who I’d take: Just told you I don’t love Smith, which is funny because I’m usually a sucker for USC guys (Reggie, Leinart, Matthews, Mike Williams), so I would take Solder.

14. St. Louis (7-9)- Muhammad Wilkerson, (DE/DT, Temple) they continue to take DL in the first round. This guy from Temple is big a strong. He may need some time to develop but if Julio Jones is gone, everyone else is second fiddle. This may be high for Wilkerson, if they like another DE or DT here and cannot trade out of this pick, they will take their favorite DL.
Or: Corey Liuget, I refuse to make this pick for St. Louis because this DT (6’5 304 lbs.) did 18 reps of 225 at the combine, are you kidding me? Paea did 49! That’s more like it.
Who I’d Take: Trade Trade Trade, if that is impossible, Wilkerson.

15. Miami (7-9)-Mark Ingram, (RB, Bama) everyone seems to like this, everyone but me. They are getting rid of Brown and Williams (actually, Ricky Williams (being his own agent) has advised himself to move on because he would rather give up the hashish than play for Sporano.) So I guess RB is a need, but you can get good RB’s much later in the draft. P.S. Ingram is SLOW (4.64)
            Or: Literally everything I read says Ingram is the guy here
Who I’d Take: Ingram? Whatever, I’m gonna say I’ll take Ryan Mallet, so that the Dolphins GM can make up for asking Dez Bryant about his escorting mother by taking this year’s version of the worst interviewer. Their most glairing need is QB, they will be able to run the ball, their OL is good, their WR core is good, their Defense is pretty good, Henne on the other hand, sucks. And I would rather take a chance on Ryan Williams in the 3rd round then use a top half of the 1st roung pick on Mark Ingram.

16. Jacksonville (8-8)-Aldon Smith, (OLB/DE, Mizzou) first time mentioning his name, supposedly he has a huge upside and is a great pass rusher, yet he is converting from DE at Mizzou to OLB. I don’t know much about him, he missed time because of injury. I also know Jax likes DL, especially DE’s (Derrick Harvey/Quinten Groves).
            Or: Adrian Clayborn, another DE but more of the run stuffer.
Who I’d Take: Stephen Paea, because then they would have two DT’s from the Pac-10 with funny last names who they over drafted by at least a full round, both of whom I might add have superhuman powers (paea’s bench pressing ability which always = a better chance of being a guido, and Alualu’s long hair don’t care)… but for real, I would take Mallet or Rahim Moore. This would be a little high for both of them, but as I mentioned before, if the Jags like their guy they will take him wherever they want. Safety is a pretty big need for them and has been for a while so Moore could come in and start, it also seems like every year they are looking for a quarterback, I am not sure why since they have an amazing ex-pro bowl guy under center in David Gerrahd. (tricked ya, he most definitely deserves it)

17. New England (14-2) -- from Oakland- J.J. Watt, (DE, Wisconsin) Watt is a potential top ten pick because of how well he would fit at DE in a 3-4 defense. San Diego is old and not very good across the front line so they could use an upgrade here. He has a great combine and is pretty huge, he would be a nice fit on the DL.
Or: Mike Pouncey, Guard is another need of theirs and Pouncey is so overrated mainly because of how well his brother did last year. Mike is not his brother, unfortunately, if he goes to the Pats here, he will be a perennial pro bowler because that’s what the Pats do, even to gators.
Who I’d Take: Trade, and this time, I’m not kidding, because if any team can trade down, it’s the Pats. They do not have a glairing need, EVER, and DE, G and WR, are their three “wants” we will call them. There are a number of DE’s that cluster right here so let some team trade up to get their guy and wait until later to get one. No Guards are really great values here so trade back and grab one. And no WR’s are going here, besides Julio and Green the next pack of WR clusters with 2nd or 3rd round grades. DO IT. If I have to make a pick I would LOVE for Mark Ingram to be on the board because while I hate him at 15 I love him here because it’s the patriots, imagine them with a running game? Are you kidding me? Tom Brady would be jumping for joy. (had to throw him in there) OR, they could stay true to Oakland and thank them for their pick by snagging CB from the U Van Dyke who ran a 4.28 and saw his draft stock rocket into a 7th round projection.

18. San Diego (9-7)- Cameron Jordan, (DE, Cal) everyone seems to like DE here, and since they run a 3-4 they need a certain type, Jordan is a good fit.
            Or: Tyron Smith, he would be a good value here because of his             upside, but if Watt is available he is probably the guy.
            Who I’d Take: Watt.

19. New York Giants (10-6)- Tyron Smith, (OT, USC) everyone seems to think the G-men will go OT here and they would love to have smith. In a somewhat weak OL draft Smith has the biggest upside, but he also has the biggest bust potential. He is a bit under sized but has a nice frame and could put on weight. He was a RT at USC and will probably be converted to LT in the NFL in a best case scenario. He is well worth the risk at 19.
Or: Akeem Ayers or Rahim Moore, both would be upgrades at their positions but neither fill as big of a need as OT.
Who I’d Take: I doubt Smith will be available but if he is that is where I go.

20. Tampa Bay (10-6)- Ryan Kerrigan, (DE, Purdue) its going to be DE for a couple reasons. It is a major need, it is an incredibly deep class, and the spot the Bucs pick at is perfect to pick their favorite guy because a couple decent DE’s are still available. Kerrigan is a guy that keeps his motor running and gives you everything he has. He is yoked, and ran a 4.64 40, nice, I’ll take him.
Or: If they don’t go DE (which they should) they may go for Rahim Moore. Jackson may be on his way out, and after so many injuries at safety last year their 7th round pick Cody Grimm started a number of games until he was also injured. I have almost talked myself into thinking Moore would be the better pick here.
Who I’d Take: Torn between a jacked, surfer looking DE from Drew Brees University (#3 or #4 DE) and the #1 safety in the draft who is a ball hawk and is a huge upgrade at a position of need. I would probably go Kerrigan and take a chance on a safety in the later rounds.

21. Kansas City (10-6)- Akeem Ayers, (OLB, UCLA) not a perfect fit for an OLB in the 3-4, but he could turn into one. He was all over the field at UCLA and had a nose for the ball. He would probably succeed in any system and is definitely an upgrade or heir apparent to Vrabel who yes, is still playing.
Or: Phil Taylor, (NT, Baylor) they run a 3-4 and have picked so many lineman in the first round. Scouts say Taylor is the best NT for a 3-4 scheme in this draft. This may be a bit high for him but his position is valuable in the type of defense KC runs.
Who I’d Take: I love Akeem Ayers and think he will end up being a Shaun Phillips type of OLB.

22. Indianapolis (10-6)-Anthony Costonzo, (OT, BC) preseason top ten pick, very productive, big, mean OT. Every Mock draft I have seen not only has Indy picking an OT, but they have him picking THIS OT, I don’t know the connection but I won’t disagree.
Or: Any other OL, they are dying for some players there. Rahim Moore is another possibility.
            Who I’d Take: Sure Castonzo.

23. Philadelphia (10-6)-Gabe Carimi, (OT, Wisconsin) another big, mean guy who is a great value at this pick.
Or: Akeem Ayers if available. They could use some help at OLB, Simms isn’t going to be around much longer, he has slowed down ever since his brother fumbled the GT away at the goal line.
Who I’d Take: I like Carimi here, they need help on the OL to protect Slick Vick.

24. New Orleans (11-5)-Corey Liuget, (DT, Illi) great value here and a perfect fit. This defense is overrated. They need help inside on the DL. They are getting old and are lacking a star. Liuget’s draft stock rose for a while but is beginning to settle in at late to mid 1st round, if he is on the board I don’t see the Saints passing on him.
Or: Justin Houston (OLB, UGA), they have a serious need at OLB. Houston is a converted DE and might not be a great fit in their defense, but he could provide Greg Williams with yet another guy to send on a blitz.
Who I’d Take: If Liuget is available I get him.

25. Seattle (7-9)-Jake Locker, (QB, Wash) if even one other mock draft has a QB going, I’m running with it. I hear Pete Carrol loves Jake Locker. I love him too. Therefore, it’s a perfect fit. Chalk Chaz Whitehurst up to a rookie mistake and maybe they will be able to trade him to Tennessee or something for a future 4th rounder. Re-sign receding hairline Hass to a 2-year deal and Locker should be more than ready to turn that team into a contender. Last year this guy would have been #1 FOR SURE, to get him at 25 just a year later, Pete Carrol wins again. (Told you I love USC guys)
            Or: They could be boring and take Mike Pouncey.
            Who I’d Take: Jake the Snake is back!
           
26. Baltimore (12-4)- Aaron Williams, (CB, Texas) CB is definitely their biggest need and might be their only real need. I am not in love with Williams but he has good size and may be a good fit here.
Or: many scouts have them taking a WR like Cobb or Torrey Smith, I don’t see why, they have pretty good depth at WR. They are not young by any means, but it is not a need and I would take a WR later (I am in love with whichever team snags Greg Little in the 3rd round, he is this year’s Mike Williams)
Who I’d Take: I don’t personally think Williams is any better than Miami’s Brandon Harris who they could probably get in round 2. So I would again, snag the #1 safety Rahim Moore and let him sit behind Ed Reed and learn for a year before he takes over as the ball hawk of this defense.

27. Atlanta (13-3)-Justin Houston (OLB/DE, UGA) Houston could be a great blitzing LB. He does need work in pass coverage and learning zones, but Mike Peterson was an upgrade just a few years ago so you can imagine what an upgrade Houson would be. He might also just play DE in Atlanta’s 4-3 scheme. He is a versatile athlete and is a good value pick at 27. His stock has been rising after a great combine so he may be off the board here. In ATL he would probably end up playing with his hand on the ground.
Or: Mike Pouncey still has not come off the board and he would also be great value here.
Who I’d Take: I think Justin Houston is a guy with a lot of potential. Late first round is a safe place to pick a big risk reward guy. If he doesn’t hit, it won’t cripple your franchise, but I don’t see Atlanta not finding a place for Houston on the field.

28. New England (14-2)- Phil Taylor, (NT, Baylor) he could serve two roles, heir apparent to Vince, but also he might serve as their starting NT. The Pats moved Vince inside and outside on the 3-4 DL last year and if Taylor can plant himself in the middle that would allow them some flexibility across the line and a better chance of keeping these massive dudes a little more fresh.
Or: They could literally do anything with this pick, WR, RB, OL, DL (Torrey Smith, Mikel Leshoure, Mike Pouncey, or Phil Taylor) If they take J.J. Watt with their earlier first round pick they probably wont take Taylor here, but anything is possible, they took a number of OLB’s and TE’s last year. I think one of their two first round picks will end up being traded
Who I’d Take: I like Phil Taylor, I like his position, and I think Vince is great right now but in the next year or two I think he will lose a step or two and it would be nice to have a guy with some experience to slide right in there. If they go DL with their first pick and can’t trade this one I would go Mikel Leshoure or Torrey Smith.

29. Chicago (11-5)- Mike Ijalana, (OL, Nova) ya Nova… remember Mike Iupati last year? From Idaho? Well scouts say this guy could be that guy. I know nothing about him. Yes I am not picking Pouncey on purpose…
            Or: Pouncey, or a DT.
Who I’d Take: What I would do is trade this pick with Pitt so they can reunite the Pouncey twins and Ijalana should still be available at 31 but they could pick up a 4th and 5th rounder in return.

30. New York Jets (11-5)-Rahim Moore, (S, UCLA) The Pats picking Taylor is big because the jets biggest need without  Jenkins in the middle is NT, they also could use some help on the OL so Pouncey May fit here but I refuse to put him anywhere but Pitt and you will see why. So they either have to trade up with the Pats for Taylor or Pouncey and give the Pats even more draft picks or they take the top safety off the board here.
            Or: Pouncey, but not yet… wait for it.
Who I’d Take: I like Moore, and he finally comes off the board if he is still available here.

31. Pittsburgh (12-4)* Mike Pouncey!!! Finally he is off the board and right where he belongs!! Now I had to have Pitt take Pouncey because if he is available his brother will not let him fall past Pitt. The Steelers loved their pick last year, he made the Pro Bowl and was pretty dang good, but that’s not the best reason. The Pouncey twins know how to do two things well, win championships and kiss each other. Could you imagine the make out session we could see between these two massive lookalikes if they both got drafted in the first round by the same team in back to back drafts? Can anyone say EPIC?
            Or: I guess they could take a tackle, but it will definitely be OL
Who I’d Take: The Steelers may enjoy the championships, but I’ll enjoy the make out, they are true Florida Gators.

32. Green Bay (10-6)*-Rodney Hudson, (OG, FSU) ya I’m gonna do this. I may be the only one with this pick but this would mean two years straight with first round picks, booya. Their OL was good enough last year but they were not great and could use help their. They have no glaring needs and could do anything they want with this pick.
Or: 3-4 DE, 3-4 OLB, or WR (Wilkerson, Hosuton, Jonathon Baldwin)
Who I’d Take: Obviously Rodney Hudson, or anyone else they like from FSU, make it happen.







Any comments or insights are welcomed if you can figure out how to comment.

2 comments:

  1. I hate the Giants Pick! I prefer the Outland Trophy winner in Carimi. He's gonna be a beast. You would have the dolphins draft the alleged coke snorter who was supposed to replace Chad Henne at Michigan

    ReplyDelete